"If that plane leaves the ground and you're not with him, you'll regret it. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life." Humphrey Bogart




Saturday, July 10, 2010

Love Letters

For those who don't know...
My husband Matt lives on the Ft. Irwin Army base. I am lucky enough to see him about 2 weekends a month. It is really hard living apart from him especially now that I am pregnant but we seem to manage pretty well.

Recently I have been looking through old emails between us from our first months together and realized that those letters from him were some of the best written proof of how much he loved me. (Of course that is why they are saved) So, as a challenge to our relationship we have decided to write each other love letters at least once a week.
Being married brings on a lot more challenging issues from when we were just dating. Of course shared finances, household duties, and work are just a few of them. The rules of the love letter are:
1. NEVER write anything negative.
2. Open the letter with an endearing name (this gets fun if you are creative) and of course close it with your own name.
3. Be open and write what is inspiring to you.

Instead of always texting and chatting on the phone about everyday things I really want to devote a portion of my time to telling Matt how much I love him. I love reading about history and one of my favorite subjects is about the great loves throughout time. Abigail and John Adams wrote over 1,100 love letters from the beginning of there courtship in 1762. Also, Heloise and Abelard's tumultuous love caused them to be separated for most of their lives but that didn't stop them from exclaiming their love through words. Many letters were exchanged even after they were forced to be apart.
Overall, I love the way things were centuries ago. The way the men courted the women, the letters they wrote, and the events their love endured. I eventually want to compile a book of the letters between my husband and I so that we can show our children. I feel like our love is a "great love of all time".

2 comments:

  1. Yea.. I am the first to comment! Mom here- LOL!
    I really love the idea of love letters. So romantic and real. In our modern techo world we are losing all the basics. Like sending formal letters. So, I think it is so beautiful that you want to write your loving thoughts to each other. I love your "Story". It is really a special connection you have. I love you both! Welcome to "Blog World"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog Missy !! And I am so happy for you to have found true love, but even more delighted to see you are going to work at keeping it strong through the expression of your love in words !! You both are so far ahead of the game in lasting for eternity, because you have acknowledged that "LOVE is WORK" and are willing to do all it takes to endure to the end together !! I'm so inspired by your devotion, thank you for sharing !!! Love ya R

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones