"If that plane leaves the ground and you're not with him, you'll regret it. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life." Humphrey Bogart




Friday, October 29, 2010

It's never too early to start celebrating Christmas :)

For those of you who know me, know that I absolutely love Christmas. It's my favorite holiday! I love the weather, the feeling, and the music. There is nothing about Christmas that I don't love. lol

My favorite Christmas memory would have to be 2 years ago. I was living in Maui and it was my 2nd holiday season away from my family. I hated being away from them during the holidays and hated that Maui had nothing but warm, beautiful weather. (ok... I didn't hate the weather. How could you?) But I was really homesick and missed my family a lot. One day during the middle of November, my dad texted me and asked me if I would be able to get work off during the week of Christmas. I was working two jobs at the time and honestly had no idea. He then proposed that we surprise my family on Christmas Eve with my arrival HOME! (It had been almost a year and a half since I had seen my family). So I started right away with trying to get my shifts covered so we could book the flight. It was definitely the Lord's intervention because I had many willing people able to help cover my shifts and the planning began! I left December 23rd @ 11:00pm on a red eye to San Fransisco. When I got to the San Fransisco airport it was about 8am. My next flight was at 11am... but of course, it was delayed. All the meanwhile, me and my dad were texting back and forth plotting this amazing surprise! Well eventually my flight boarded... 6 hrs later! But I made it to Fresno at about 4pm. When I saw my dad I was in tears. I hadn't seen him in what felt like forever and it was so awesome to be able to spend some time with him. I love him! We then headed toward the house where he had a wrapped HUGE Christmas present ready for me to hop in. (For my later reveal!) My dad called my family and told them they needed to stay in the back bedroom (my parents room) while he unloaded the surprise for them. REMEMBER... no one knew what was going on! As I hopped in the box... my heart was racing!! I was nervous and excited but definitely overwhelmed with emotions. My dad gathered the family around the huge Christmas Present and told everyone that it was very difficult to ship this box. He had my youngest brother, Kenneth, say the magic words so the box would open. So my brother said "Abracadabra"... and I shook the box. Everyone was laughing and had no idea what was going on... And my Dad asked Kenny to say them one more time... so he did. And after he said them I popped out! My whole family was so overwhlemed. I don't think there was a dry eye in the house. It was the most amazing and overwhelming feeling of love I have ever experienced. I couldn't believe how different everyone looked and how much I missed them. There weren't enough hugs to make up for the times lost.

Needless to say, It was an amazing Christmas. This is the reason Christmas means so much to me. It is definitely a time of year where you can "over-express" your love and appreciation for your family and loved one's. Even though that should be everyday of the year ;) It's also a wonderful time to celebrate the birth of our Christ, my best friend. So that is why this year, I started making my crafts early! I finally have my own home and my own little family to start traditions with. Basically, I am overzealous.

HERE ARE THE START OF THE PROJECTS! (not very great pictures... more to come of course)

I started making these acorns. They have numerous places they will
go in my house. But they are easy and adorable! I am making them with
green fabric and burlap as well.

And the start of my wreath!!! I have a little more to add, but it's getting there!

Most of my inspiration these days comes from this blog! Go check it out :)
ashbyfamilyblog.blogspot.com

2 comments:

  1. That remembrance of the day will always make me cry. I had no idea and was completely suprised. It was the greatest suprise ever and I mostly remember the feelings of Love and devotion a Family can have for each other. I love your Dad for doing that. We needed it and the timing was perfect. No Shock that you love Christmas. You grew up with MR CHRISTMAS! LOL! So fun that you are creating things for your home and Family :) Love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks mom! I will NEVER forget that Christmas. It was definitely the best Christmas present I have ever been given. I love you. And I am excited to be starting all these crafts with you!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones